Pages

Friday, January 22, 2016

Writer's Block: How to Handle It

It hasn't stopped snowing yet.  At all.  As much as I love the snow, I'm worried about the plants and animals (and people) that are facing it right now, and I really hope all are well and safe! Sitting inside, I've felt very grateful for a roof and heat, and I've been trying to get some work done.  This brings me to my next subject: writer's block!  Yay! (Cue sarcasm.)

 


Writer's block--the bane of creativity--is an unfortunate phenomenon marked by an abundance of blank pages and a lack of inspiration.  It can be incredibly disheartening, making writers everywhere feel like they'll never ever feel inspired again, and it can cause major problems when you have essays due. But don't worry!  (Worrying is the root of all stress, and stress causes way more trouble than it's worth.) Here are some of my favorite ways to deal with writer's block.  I've by no means found the cure (does one exist?), but these things can help:
  • Listening to music.  Anything works, really. It all depends on how you're feeling. Some of my favorite anti-writer's block songs are "Wings" by Birdy, "1904" by The Tallest Man on Earth, and "Midnight City" by M83.  And Lana Del Rey often helps me write history papers.
  • Looking at art. Noticing a trend?  Art of any kind can be inspiring.  Photography can be the needed inspiration for a short story. Monet can spark an idea for your book report.
  • Reading.  This is an obvious one, I know, but it really works!  There's nothing like reading Les Mis excerpts to inspire you to aspire to Victor Hugo-level literary brilliance.
  • Dancing.  Not for everyone, but fun when it works.
  • Watching movie trailers.  Some trailers have amazing combinations of visuals and music. I love the trailer for Baz Luhrman's The Great Gatsby
  • Talking.  Even to yourself.
  • Moving around.  Take a walk outside (or not, given the weather).
  • Cleaning.  It's oddly therapeutic, and it'll help you think.  Plus, you'll end up with a cleaner home afterwards ;).
<3 Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment